The ever-changing weather in Vancouver recently, everything from snowstorm to clear skies, has brought me back to one of my favourite quotes:
You are the sky, and everything else is just the weather. - Pema Chödrön
This quote has incredible significance to me, because it reminds me that there is no such thing as having no bad days. Just like the weather, some days we may experience an abundance of light, yet other days we may be overcast with gloom. On bad days we may naturally feel unmotivated, lethargic, or perhaps easily irritated. These days are inevitable. But have you ever though of viewing bad days as opportunities for growth?
Bad days exist to challenge us. They encourage us to search within ourselves to overcome the challenges that arise. Whether its receiving a bad test mark, having tough day at work, or struggling with self-worth, know that these are not meant to bring you down, but rather to give you the opportunity to rise above. I recently attended a workshop where it was discussed how stress can be positive in invigorating and preparing the body for challenge. Why don't we view bad days the same way? Overcoming bad days can help us realize just how strong we are.
Here are some strategies that help me get through the darkest days:
1. Reflect on your strengths. During days where you feel overwhelmed or like a failure, look back on your strengths. Remember what you've achieved and what you've overcome. Know that your past experiences will help you through times of challenge. You can & you will!
2. Breathe. When we are anxious and tense, we may notice our muscles tighten and our breath shorten. This may happen when we are overall stressed, or perhaps experiencing an anxiety attack. Once you become aware of how you're feeling, turn your attention to your breath. Take a deep inhale through your nose, hold your breath at the top, then take a slow exhale. When you exhale, try to relax your shoulders away from your ears and let your muscles soften. Continue to breathe deeply to feel more relaxed.
3. Reach out to your support system. Don't be afraid to reach out to friends and family. Having someone to talk to about what you're going through may be very comforting. Your people would want nothing but success and happiness for you, and would be great listeners and supporters to turn to. Babes supporting babes, right?
4. Self-care and exercise. Don't forget to take time to yourself! To relieve stress, turn to your passions. Explore something new. Watch your favourite show. Order your favourite food. Go shopping (one of my favourites). These activities are not a waste of time; they are crucial in maintaining a healthy work-play balance. Also remember that mental health and physical health are equally as important. Try to participate in some physical activities, such as going to the gym, trying out a dance class, or even going on a walk. Get those endorphins going!
5. Set mantras. Choose some positive quotes or mantras that inspire and motivate you, and constantly remind yourself of them throughout your day/week.
I hope you enjoyed, and are having a brilliant week. Here's to challenges and opportunities to manifest growth!
I was first introduced to crystals during my yoga teacher training. It was definitely something I was very curious about and I decided to try them out. Needless to say, I have personally received both physical and emotional healing from crystals and I thought I'd share my experiences!
All healing crystals have different properties, whether it's to clear blockages of anger and jealousy, or to promote love, happiness, and health. There are so many stones available to you, but it's all about what speaks to you. Here are some of my favourite crystals, and their properties:
Surrounding the heart chakra, this stone is used to help express love towards yourself, others, and the planet. It can also be used for emotional healing and release.
A type of black obsidian, this stone provides grounding and protection, and helps clear any negative emotions. Apache Tear can also be used to cope with grief.
Sunstone helps clear all chakras, and lifts heavy emotions. Physically, it is especially good for sore throats and stomach ulcers.
This stone is amazing for manifestation and purifying the mind. It is also used for balancing hormones, relieving headaches and insomnia. It's a great stone to place under the pillow.
One of the most powerful protection stones, fluorite sucks up any negative energies and creates room for light. It can also help the mind focus, as well as reduce inflammation
These stones aren't crazy expensive, and you can get them at your local spiritual shop.
So now that you have crystals, how do you incorporate them? Personally, I love using them during meditation. I would lay down, place the crystals down the centre of my body, and begin to meditate. I have also used them during reiki! There really is no right or wrong as to which crystals to use or where the crystals should be placed - just do what feels natural and resonates with you. You can also wear crystals as jewelry throughout your day!
Crystals can be an amazing addition to one's practice. So maybe give it a go, and see how you feel!